Finding an FDA Regulatory Expert Witness
Read time: 3 minutes
When dealing with legal matters involving the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), it is often crucial to work with FDA regulatory expert witnesses. These professionals possess specialized knowledge and experience in FDA regulations, policies, and practices, and can provide valuable insight and testimony to support your case. Here are some tips for finding and working with FDA expert witnesses.
What Is an FDA Expert Witness?
FDA expert witnesses are professionals who have extensive expertise in FDA regulations, policies, and practices. They typically have a deep understanding of the FDA’s legal framework, industry standards, compliance requirements, and enforcement actions. These experts can offer specialized insights and opinions in legal cases involving FDA-regulated products or activities.
Areas FDA Expert Witnesses Can Opine On
FDA expert witnesses provide specialized knowledge in various areas related to FDA regulations, policies, and practices. Here are some examples of areas where FDA expert witnesses can provide valuable insight:
- FDA Regulatory Framework: Interpreting the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as well as regulations, guidance documents, and enforcement procedures, and explaining the requirements imposed on individuals, companies, and products under FDA jurisdiction.
- Compliance and Enforcement: Evaluating whether a company or individual complied with FDA regulations that govern manufacturing processes, labeling, advertising, quality control, clinical trials, adverse event reporting, and post-marketing surveillance.
- Industry Practices and Standards: Providing insight into best practices and industry-specific requirements within FDA-regulated sectors such as pharmaceuticals, medical devices, biotechnology, dietary supplements, and food products.
- Product Approval and Clearance: Explaining the requirements for preclinical and clinical trials, data submission, FDA review procedures, and post-approval obligations for various products, including new drugs, generic drugs, medical devices, and biologics.
- Safety and Efficacy Evaluation: Opining on the safety and efficacy of FDA-regulated products based on scientific evidence, clinical data, and FDA guidelines. They can opine on the adequacy of clinical trials, study designs, statistical analyses, adverse event reporting, and post-market surveillance to determine if a product meets FDA standards.
- Labeling and Advertising: Providing guidance on labeling requirements, proper product identification, indications, contraindications, warnings, and instructions for use. They can also assess advertising materials to ensure compliance with FDA guidelines regarding product claims, efficacy statements, and fair and balanced representation.
- Clinical Trials and Research: Evaluating study protocols, informed consent procedures, data collection and analysis, and adherence to Good Clinical Practice (GCP) guidelines.
- Risk Assessment and Risk Management: Evaluating risk management plans, identifying potential hazards, and providing insights on risk mitigation strategies for FDA-regulated products.
Finding the Right FDA Expert Witness
Finding the right expert witness can be a challenge. Here are some tips to help you identify and select the right expert for your case:
- Identify Your Specific Needs: Determine the particular aspects of FDA regulations relevant to your case. This may include pharmaceuticals, medical devices, food and dietary supplements, clinical trials, labeling, manufacturing processes, or regulatory compliance.
- Research Credentials: Evaluate the potential expert’s qualifications, experience, and credentials. Qualifications can include advanced degrees with specializations in areas like pharmacology, toxicology, or regulatory science. Well-recognized certifications include the Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) offered by the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS) and the Certified Quality Auditor (CQA) certification offered by the American Society for Quality (ASQ).
- Communication Skills: Choose an expert who can articulate complex concepts clearly and concisely. Effective communication skills are essential to conveying their opinions convincingly to the judge and jury.
- Consider Availability: Ensure that the expert witness you choose is available to work on your case within your required timeline.
Getting the Most Out of FDA Expert Witness Testimony
To get the most out of your expert witness testimony, consider the following tips:
- Prepare Thoroughly: Engage an FDA regulatory expert witness as early as possible in the case to allow sufficient time for them to review the facts and develop a comprehensive understanding of the context.
- Collaborate: Maintain open communication with the expert, providing them with all relevant case materials, and encourage discussions with the legal team to align strategies.
- Prepare and Cross-Examine: Conduct thorough preparation with the expert witness, including mock testimony exercises to familiarize them with courtroom procedures and potential cross-examination scenarios.
- Simplify Testimony: Work with the expert witness to ensure their testimony is concise, coherent, and easily understandable by both legal professionals and laypersons.
Working with FDA regulatory expert witnesses is essential in legal cases involving FDA regulations. By identifying the right expert, leveraging their expertise, and effectively presenting their testimony, you can enhance your chances of success.
GLG has an established global network of experts across all industries and disciplines who can offer their testimony to support your case. We connect lawyers with the right experts for their cases quickly and efficiently so you can focus on litigating and winning.
If you are a lawyer in need of an expert witness, submit your request below, and our team will get to work finding the right match.
Enter your contact information below and a member of our team will reach out to you shortly.
Subscribe to Insights 360
Enter your email below and receive our monthly newsletter, featuring insights from GLG’s network of approximately 1 million professionals with first-hand expertise in every industry.