GLG Network Survey: UK Rail
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 30 senior executives within the UK rail space on the expected changes in the industry following the creation of GBR.
What will you learn from this survey?
- 30 senior executives within the UK rail space outlined expected changes in the industry following the creation of GBR.
- The survey investigated the impact following the William-Shapps review in terms of the future of the industry and what this may have on booking apps such as Trainline going forward.
- We also explored how the pandemic impacted the industry and the affect of COVID-19 on revenues.
Examples of findings:
- Respondents evaluated the impact of COVID-19 on rail patronage and revenues, with 63% of respondents expecting that these levels will return to match 2019 between 2023 and 2025.
- When looking to the future, 83% of the respondents expected that Great British Railways will be setting the fares policy within 5 years.
- The results highlighted a continued role for independent ticket retailers, with 73% of the respondents agreeing that these retailers will maintain a role within the railway space going forward.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Nigel Harris, Managing Director at The Railway Consultancy Ltd.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- When evaluating the mainline railway in Britain, what share of revenue do you believe is typically taken by independent retailers?
- When do you think that overall rail patronage and revenue will next reach 2019 levels?
- Which of the following organisations do you think is best-placed to set fares policy in the next 5 years?
- Which of the following organisations do you think is best-placed to set individual fares each year in the next 5 years?
- To what extent do you agree with the following statement: “In future, there will be a place for independent ticket retailers”?
- What sort of IT companies do you think appropriate to help with the railway industry’s retailing support needs?
- Trainline has established a significant business over the last two decades. How do you think the creation of GBR will affect it?
- What prospects do you think Trainline has for international expansion?
- When do you see GBR launching its independent app and website?
- How do you expect Trainline to perform within the next three years?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Consumer Goods and Services (CGS) or Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sectors:
- Holiday Parks – New!
- 60 senior executives working at Holiday Parks in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Belgium) discussed the COVID-19 im pact on the market. The survey also looked into the outlook of the market for 2021 and the respondents’ predictions for recovery to pre-COVID-19 levels.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Graham White, Former Chief Executive Officer of Chiswick Park Enjoy-Work.
- Meal Kit Market – New!
- 70 senior executives working at Meal Kit companies discussed the latest trends in the market and provided their projections on demand in the following years in the US and Europe.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Patrick Drake, Co-Founder, Director of Global Sustainability and Head Chef at HelloFresh (until March 2019).
- CRM/BPO Customers – New!
- 70 C-level executives and senior operations professionals who are currently using CRM/BPO suppliers (e.g. Konecta, Teleperformance, Atento, Comdata) commented on their key selection criteria, switching intentions in the next year and COVID-19 impact on their budgeting plans.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Andrea, Former CEO – Regional Chief Executive Officer Italy at Comdata Group. Data released in July 2021.
- Remote Viewing Platforms – New!
- 70 customers of Remote Viewing Platforms, such as Teamviewer, were interviewed on their usage of these platforms and how COVID-19 has influenced their use of these. The survey also provided a competitive overview of the different vendors in this market.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Oldrich Muller, former COO of Anydesk Software.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.