GLG Network Survey: UK Hospitality
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 25 restaurant owners and 50 pub owners/tenants, who discussed the impact of COVID-19 on their business. This is the third instalment of our project on UK Pubs, where we conducted wave 1 in November 2020 and wave 2 in March 2021. However, we are now interviewing respondents from the casual dining industry on this project, too.
What will you learn from this survey?
- 25 restaurant and 50 UK pub owners provided insight on the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
- The survey investigated the impact of COVID-19 in 2020 on pub and restaurant operating profits and the level of support owners received from the government.
- The survey also explored how the pandemic impacted debt levels and their future outlook for 2021.
Example of findings:
- 90% of respondents report their business as being open in some form following lockdowns, with the remaining majority expecting their business to reopen in June 2021.
- The outlook for the industry returns to optimism, with 89% expecting their business to survive the pandemic, compared to 68% at the previous wave published in March 2021.
- Businesses are less reliant on rent support, with 57% requiring support. In comparison, 93% respondents in the previous run (March 2021), responded that they would need some form of rent support.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Paul Pavli, former Managing Director at Punch Taverns.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- To what extent is your pub/restaurant currently open?
- What is your forecast for the 2021 summer (June, July and August) sales levels for your pub/restaurant?
- Once you reopen, how long do you think it will take for your pub/restaurant to recover to pre-Covid revenue levels?
- How much debt (other than secured loans) do you have in your business now (including VAT) due?
- Do you think your pub/restaurant business will survive this pandemic and new government regulations?
- Have you received government support since July 2020?
- What was your pub/restaurant’s operating profit for the full 2020 year?
- What do you think your pub/restaurant’s operating profit will be for the 2021 full year?
- Do you plan to increase pricing once you reopen your pub/restaurant?
- Have you applied for and received a bounce back or CBILs loan? If yes, how much was it worth?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Consumer Goods & Services (CGS) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
Consumer Goods & Services (CGS)
- Gambling Consumers – New!
- 2000 sports betting and gambling consumers across the US and Europe (United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain and Italy) discussed about their regular spend online and/or in-store now compared to pre COVID-19 along with their projections for post pandemic. These respondents also commented on how regulations impact their playing levels and whether or not they are thinking of switching accounts to other providers.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Philip Bowcock, former Group CEO at William Hill plc.
- K-12 Education – New!
- 60 Senior leadership heads at private k-12 education schools, discussed the current market demand for K12 private education. Looking at both developed and emerging markets such as Europe, South America and Asia. The performance of major education groups was also discussed, looking at the major players in the sector and their market presence.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Jonathan Wynne, former Head of M&A at Nord Anglia Education, Inc.
- GLG Tracker: OTA consumers III – New!
- Third survey to follow the second wave conducted in November 2020 and first wave conducted in July 2020. 2000 consumers across Europe (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK) and the US, discussed their upcoming plans to travel, past experience with booking business and leisure travels with Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) and metasearches as well as their preference to book flight/accommodation through various sites.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Uliano Lastrcuci, former Director Strategy & Business Development at Edreams
- Beauty Product Retailers + Event
- 70 retailers who stock major beauty brands such as L’Oréal, Nivea, Olay discussed the latest trends in this market from retailers’ perspective.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Didier Tisserand, former Managing Director of Brand Portfolio Management at L’Oréal.
- GLG Tracker: UK Gym Operators II
- Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in August 2020. Revisiting the impact of COVID-19 on the UK gym industry. 50 UK gym owners provided insight on the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Stuart Broster, former CEO of Anytime Fitness
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG capture in the Network Survey.