GLG Network Survey: UK Gym Operators III
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 50 owners/operators of UK gyms and fitness clubs who discussed operations moving forwards from COVID-19. This is the third wave of the gym operators following the first and second iterations in August 2020 and March 2021, respectively.
What will you learn from this survey?
- 50 owners/operators shared their experiences of adapting and overcoming the challenges that arose from COVID-19.
- The survey explored current customer membership levels, product offerings, and online strategy after re-opening.
- It also investigated the impact of COVID-19 on staffing and equipment sanitation, along with maintaining health guidelines.
Examples of findings:
- Following the reopening of gyms, 84% of respondents have reporting an increase in cleaning costs, with 95% of reporting an increase of more than 10%.
- The financial situation of gyms appears to be improving, with 48% reporting slight or significant profit, compared to just 26% in the previous iteration of this project.
- The landscape of the gym industry may be changed for good following COVID-19, with 74% of respondents considering online offerings to remain a threat to the traditional gym industry.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Stuart Broster, former CEO of Anytime Fitness until April 2020.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- To what extent is your premises open and operational following COVID-19?
- What are your operating hours post-COVID-19?
- Following the end of COVID-19 restrictions, which of the following have you introduced for group classes?
- To what extent have these changes affected normal class capacity?
- Are there any changes in the demographics of your newer club members?
- Following reopening, have you incurred extra cleaning costs?
- Will you continue to offer online classes post-lockdown?
- When do you expect your membership level to return to pre-COVID-19 levels?
- What is the current membership level discrepancy from pre-COVID-19 levels?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Consumer Goods and Services (CGS) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
- UK Rail – New!
- Following the William-Shapps review, GLG interviewed 30 senior executives within the UK rail space on the expected changes on the industry following the creation of GBR. The survey discussed the future of British railway and the impact this may have on booking apps such as Trainline going forward.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Nigel Harris, Managing Director at The Railway Consultancy Ltd. Data released in August 2021.
- Hotel Operators IV – New!
- Fourth survey to follow the third wave conducted in April 2021, second wave in October 2020 and first wave conducted in May 2020. 50 hotel brand franchisees, C-suite hotel chain executives across Europe and the US discussed the latest trends in the space and COVID-19 impact.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Neil Amin, current CEO at Shamin Hotels.
- Meal Kit Market – New!
- 70 senior executives working at Meal Kit companies discussed the latest trends in the market and provided their projections on demand in the following years in the US and Europe.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Patrick Drake, Co-Founder, Director of Global Sustainability and Head Chef at HelloFresh (until March 2019).
- Holiday Parks – New!
- 60 senior executives working at Holiday Parks in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Belgium) discussed the COVID-19 im pact on the market. The survey also looked into the outlook of the market for 2021 and the respondents’ predictions for recovery to pre-COVID-19 levels.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Graham White, Former Chief Executive Officer of Chiswick Park Enjoy-Work.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.