GLG Network Survey Tracker: Semiconductors Supply Chain II
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 60 senior executives working within the semiconductors space who commented on the latest market dynamics and COVID-19 impact on the industry. This is the second survey to follow the first iteration conducted in August 2021.
What will you learn from this survey?
- Respondents commented on the latest market dynamics and COVID-19 impact on the industry.
- The survey also gathered insights into sales volume in demand vs actual shipment due to the current chip shortages.
- Lastly, experts commented on the importance of the overall geopolitical situation and concrete geographical location of the foundry wafer fab when thinking of future service and manufacturing contracts.
Examples of findings:
- In March 2022, 53% of the experts stated that the actual sales volume gap in demand vs actual shipment is more than 20%, compared to 43% captured in August 2021.
- Overall, 50% of the respondents switched manufacturing capacity between foundries due to supply capacity restrictions.
- In the last iteration of the survey, when asked to estimate a sustainable longer term CAGR for the overall semiconductor industry, 44% of experts mentioned “between 5% and 7%”.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Hans Rijns, former Senior Vice President, Chief Technology Officer and Head of Research at NXP Semiconductors.
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- What is your outlook for the demand to supply volume gap develop in the following periods?
- How would you estimate the split of actual volume demand in terms of inventory (re)build versus actual sell-through?
- Approximately, how big is the increase in Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) due to price raises in Foundry services (wafers or materials)?
- In your view, how much do the chip shortages impact the following technology nodes?
- Which of the following product classes are mostly affected by supply shortages?
- Apart from capacity limitations at wafer Foundries, are you facing capacity restrictions for any of the following?
- Have the Foundries adjusted contract conditions resulted in improved realism on end-market demand (i.e. reduced multiple-ordering behaviour)?
- Do you anticipate Foundries to proactively adjust their global supply chain geographics, i.e. shifting capacity from Asia to EU or USA?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
- Telecom Industry – New!
- 50 senior executives working at telecom companies in UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain commented about the competition in the space, consumer shifts compared to pre COVID-19, fibre roll-out, 5G, towers divestiture and regulations.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Thomas Engelbertz, former CEO Internet of Things (IoT) –Consumer at Vodafone.
- GLG Tracker: Satellite Industry II
- Second survey to follow the first one conducted in July 2021. 40 senior executives within the satellite industry discussed topics such as market demand across sectors and geographies. The survey also explored LEOs (low-earth orbit satellites) and how that is expected to impact satellite service providers.
- Questionnaire was drafted by William Germain, former Director of M&A at Inmarsat.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.