GLG Network Survey Tracker: UK Pubs IV
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 25 restaurant owners and 50 pub owners/tenants, following Wave 1 (November 2020), Wave 2 (March 2021) and Wave 3 (June 2021) of the survey.
What will you learn from this survey?
- 25 restaurant and 50 UK pub owners provided insight on the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
- The survey investigated the impact of COVID-19 on pub and restaurant operating profits and the level of support owners received from the government.
- The survey also explored how the pandemic impacted debt levels, outlook for the Christmas season, and how recent budget announcements have impacted the industry.
Examples of findings:
- The industry is now returning to normal hours, with 91% of respondents stating their premises are fully open with the same hours as pre COVID-19.
- Costs in 2021 have grown for most business areas, notably in staffing, food, and drinks.
- Most optimistically, 100% of experts stated they expect their businesses to be operating a year from now.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Paul Pavli, former Managing Director at Punch Taverns.
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- How long do you require rent support from your landlord to support your business?
- Did you have debt (other than secured loans) in your business before the COVID-19 lockdown? If yes, how much?
- How much debt (other than secured loans) do you have in your business now (including VAT) due?
- By how much have your costs increased during 2021?
- Have you started repaying your bounce back/CBiLs loan?
- To what extent do you agree with the following statement: “The Autumn budget announcements will help my business”?
- How has your pricing changed within the last 6 months?
- What concerns do you have for your business over the next 12 months?
- Compared to the 2019 Christmas season, how do you expect reservations and total sales to fare for the 2021 Christmas season?
- Do you think your business will still be operating a year from now?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Consumer Goods and Services sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
- Cinema Goers – New!
- 2000 cinema goers based in the US, UK, Spain, Italy, France and Germany commented on their spent on cinemas in the last 2 years and projection for the next year. These respondents also commented on their preference between online streaming services and cinemas and what might influence their choice in the future.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Mel Alcock, Chairman of the British Board of Film Classification.
- Grocery Chains – New!
- 60 senior executives and procurement professionals working at supermarket/grocery chains in the US, France and UK commented on the latest market trends and projections of demand for 2022. These experts also discussed the supply chain disruption within the grocery space.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Graham Wilkie, Managing Partner of Geodia.
- Supply Chain Disruption – New!
- 35 senior executives within the UK retail space discussed the ongoing supply chain disruption for retailers, evaluating the Christmas season and beyond 2021. Respondents evaluated the ongoing risk factors to the supply chain including Brexit and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Graham Wilkie, Managing Partner of Geodia.
- Luxury Product Retailers III – New!
- Third survey to follow the second wave conducted in April 2021 and first wave conducted in October 2020. 70 luxury brand retailers / distributors provided insights into the current trends in this market.
- The survey was drafted by Helen David, former Chief Growth Officer at Ralph & Russo Ltd.
- GLG Tracker: K12 Education II
- Second survey to follow the first one conducted in May 2021. 60 senior leadership heads at private K-12 education schools discussed the current market demand for K12 private education. The survey looked at schools in both developed and emerging markets such as Europe, South America and Asia.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Jonathan Wynne, former Head of M&A at Nord Anglia Education, Inc.
- GLG Tracker: Cruise Travel Operators III
- Third survey to follow the second survey conducted in April 2021 and first wave conducted in September 2020. 70 cruise travel agents across Europe shared their views on current outlook and booking situations since the impact of Covid-19, as well as current customer concerns and how they will change the types of cruises that are in demand.
- Questionnaire was drafted by David Noyes, former CEO of Carnival UK.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.