GLG Network Survey: European Airports Outlook
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
The GLG Surveys team interviewed 50 senior European airport executives.
What will you learn from this survey?
- Respondents commented on passenger volume in 2020 compared to pre COVID-19 and provided their projections for 2021.
- The research assessed main factors that can accelerate or slow down the recovery to pre COVID-19 levels and captured experts’ insights on airlines’ flights volume projections for the next 12 months.
- Lastly, the survey also gathered airport executives’ views on COVID-19 passports and how their introduction will align with country quarantining restrictions, along with projections on countries that will recover fastest from the impact of COVID-19.
Examples of findings:
- Passenger volume is expected to increase towards the end of 2021. 78% of respondents stated they are expecting a volume of more than 1 million people in the last quarter of the year, up by 26% from the Q2/2021 figures.
- A return to pre COVID-19 passenger volume is expected by 36% of the respondents to happen no later than the second half of 2022, with the majority of experts projecting it for the first half of 2023.
- The overall opinion about the introduction of COVID-19 passports is positive. Most respondents (80%) stated that COVID-19 passports will be capable of aligning with individual country entry requirements/restrictions and quarantine regulations.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Alex Kirby, Former Senior Advisor to the Board of Directors at Gatwick Airport.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”), in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- In-depth PowerPoint report of survey findings presented by the Network Member via webcast (optional).
- How did the passenger volume change for the following periods in 2020 compared to the same periods in 2019 at your airport?
- What are your projections for passenger volume for the rest of 2021 at your airport?
- In your view, what are the main factors that will contribute the most to the recovery of the aviation industry?
- How are your airline clients planning to operate their air services in 2021 in terms of number of destinations served?
- How are your airline clients planning to operate their air services in 2021 in terms of frequency of air services?
- How has the easing of the rules requiring airlines to ‘use or lose’ their slots in response to the decline in passenger numbers impacted the value of slots at your airport?
- What is the projected level of employee numbers for the end of 2021?
- What is the projected number of employees during the peak summer season in the months of July and August for 2021?
- In your view, which of the following European countries will recover first from the impact of COVID-19 in terms of lowest rates of COVID-19 infection per million of the population?
- What is the projected revenue for the following airport areas in 2021?
The survey is available to subscribers of the Energy and Industrials (EI) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access or click the button below to inquire.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
Energy and Industrials (EI)
- Bioplastics Market Overview New!
- 60 senior executives working across a broad range of industries who are currently using/converting bioplastics across the US and Europe discussed about the latest trends in the market and the COVID-19 impact on their business. The survey also gathered insights about the future bioplastics demand and budget allocation.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Marc Verbruggen, former President/CEO at NatureWorks LLC.
- Container Shipping New!
- 60 executives internationally at shipping container liners discussed current trends within the industry. The survey covered topics such as demand and volume from a regional perspective, as well as pricing.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Mark Williams, Managing Director at Shipping Strategy Ltd.
- Wind Turbine Market Overview New!
- 70 senior executives working in the wind power industry discussed the COVID-19 impact on their operations and purchasing plans. The survey also covered the competitive landscape of the key OEMs in the market along with the respondents’ projections on the future outlook.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Randall Tinkerman, former Consulting Due Diligence, Offshore Wind Tender Evaluator at the Ministry of Economic Affairs & Climate in Netherlands.
- Automotive Suppliers II New!
- Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in August 2020. 60 current procurement and supply chain professionals at European OEMs discussed their views on future purchasing intention and vendor preferences.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Paul Spadafora, former Chief Engineer, Global SUV at General Motors Company.
- Drilling Market Overview
- 65 senior executives discussed their drilling activity and contractual impact in the last 12 months, impact of COVID-19 and their projections for the short and medium term.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Roger Hodgson, former Commercial and Marketing Director at Weatherford Drilling International.
- Aircraft Leasing Executives II
- Second wave to follow the initial survey conducted in September 2020. 70 current executives at commercial aircraft leasing companies globally discussed the levels of discounting their airlines customers are asking for.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Dick Forsberg, former Head of Strategy at Avolon Holdings until March of 2019.
- Airport Ground Handling II
- Second wave to follow the initial survey conducted in June 2020. 50 current executives at ground handling operators, airlines and airport operators in the USA, UK, France and Germany, discussed the latest trends in the market and the impact of Covid-19.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Richard van Bruygom, former Head of Strategy, EAS at Etihad Airways, former CEO, Americas at WFS and former President at Swissport.
To request data for these surveys, or see our other ones available, follow the link to our Network Survey Hub.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG capture in the Network Survey.