GLG Network Survey: EU Retail Real Estate
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
What will you learn from this survey?
- Respondents discussed the COVID-19 impact on the retail real estate space and provided their views on the future outlook.
- The survey also investigated potential store relocation outside the city as well as online expansion.
- Lastly, experts shared their views on percentage change in footfall post relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions compared to 2019.
Examples of findings:
- When asked about the key business components that have permanently altered as a direct result of COVID-19, 94% mentioned “percentage of sales online vs in-store”, followed by “store location” (38%).
- 64% of the respondents stated the sector will fully recover to pre-COVID-19 levels in H2/2022 or later.
- Overall, 46% of the retailers mentioned they have seen a decrease in footfall of more than 10% post relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions compared to 2019.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Pete Cooper, former Director of UK Shopping Centres at Hammerson PLC.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- In your view, has the pandemic experience left European retailers overall more resilient or more vulnerable?
- In your view, what are the key business components that have permanently altered?
- In your view, which of the following are the top 3 current biggest challenges for businesses in your sector?
- From your experience, what were the top 3 criteria used in retailers’ spending decision making process before the pandemic?
- In your view, what are the current top 3 criteria used in retailers’ spending decision making process?
- Which of the following do you think best describes the current economic landscape in your country?
- In your view, what impact are supply chain cost increases and wage increases having on price inflation?
- From your perspective, what average price inflation is predicted in your segment?
- Approximately, what is your split between physical / digital sales balance this year?
- When do you anticipate digital retailers to start taking physical spaces?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Real Estate (RE) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
- Corporate Back to Office
- 120 C-level executives working across the US, Europe and APAC discussed their back-to-office plans and whether or not they may be considering physical changes to their offices to minimise the potential spread and prioritise employee safety.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Peter Damesik, former Chairman of EMEA Research at CBRE.
- GLG Tracker: UK Retail and Commercial Prime II
- 60 current property directors at mid to major corporates discussed their views on needs for commercial prime (i.e., office space) post COVID-19 combined with the high street angle on real estate executives, who had discussed therental prices for shops on the high street and in shopping malls.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Pete Cooper, former Director of UK Shopping Centres at Hammerson PLC until May of 2019.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.