GLG Network Survey: Commodity Trading
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
GLG interviewed 70 senior executives working at commodity trading firms across Europe and the US.
What will you learn from this survey?
- The survey covered the landscape for commodity trading houses at present and how they expect various commodities to trend.
- Furthermore, the survey investigated the potential impact of a recession on the industry.
- Lastly, respondents outlined their views on various climate policies, with senior executives providing their views on government policies.
Examples of findings:
- Our experts outlined the governments/regulators they expect to become more opposed to fossil fuels, with 96% stating the US, followed by the UK (70%) and European Union (60%).
- The vast majority of respondents (95%) believe that the Russian-Ukranian war is the most important factor of the current market volatility.
- More than half of respondents (57%) believe that the Iran nuclear deal is unlikely to go through in the near future.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Philip Lansdowne, former Regional Head at Trafigura.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- In your view, what is the main factor determining energy prices?
- What impact do you expect a recession to have on commodity prices?
- In your view, what are the three key barriers in the growth of independent/privately owned commodity trading houses?
- Which of these governments and regulators do you expect to become more opposed to fossil fuels?
- In your opinion, how likely is it that we will see more trading activities of sanctioned countries through private commodity houses?
- With initial margin rates so high due to high prices and volatility, what impact do you expect this to have on companies’ ability to stay liquid?
- Do you expect government bodies will step in and regulate trading companies?
- To what extent is COVID-19 still impacting price fluctuations in current global markets?
- How do you expect crude price to trend over the next year?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Financial Business Services (FBS) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
- 70 senior executives within the financial services industry across Europe and the US commented on the latest trends for cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology and provided their views on the outlook for this space.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Juliano Torii, former Senior Analyst at Sarria Limited.
- GLG Tracker: Corporate Back to Office II
- Second survey to follow the initial wave conducted in June 2021. 120 C-level executives working across the US, Europe and APAC discussed their back-to-office plans and whether or not they may be considering physical changes to their offices to minimise the potential spread and prioritise employee safety.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Peter Damesik, former Chairman of EMEA Research at CBRE.
- Debt Collectors
- 50 senior executives managing Non-performing loans (NPL) discussed the latest trends for the European debt collection market. Experts commented on how COVID-19 has impacted the legal/regulatory regime for companies in their industry and what actions were taken to adjust the expected collections in the last period.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Najib Nathoo, Managing Director of the Rede Company and former CEO of Hoist Finance Region West.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.