GLG Network Survey Tracker: Cinema Landlords
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
30 senior executives operating within Cinema Real Estate in the UK commented on the future of the industry including how the space might expect to recover as well as future uses of cinema spaces.
What will you learn from this survey?
- 30 senior executives within cinema real estate in the UK provided insights on the impact of COVID-19 on the industry.
- The survey investigated how the space might expect to recover following COVID-19 and potential future uses of cinema spaces.
- Furthermore, the survey looked into how landlords expect operators will handle the recovery from COVID-19 lockdowns.
Example of findings:
- 100% of respondents answered that COVID-19 had an impact on revenue of more than 10%, with 80% of respondents stating this decrease was more than 25%.
- The majority of respondents (54%) expect that cinemas will still be a fixture of retail settings in 2030.
- Looking at cinema rents, 73% of respondents expected these to increase within the next 3 years.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Stephen Court, Former MD of Hammerson PLC.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”) in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- Executive summary with key takeaways and highlights from the raw data.
- In your view, what has been the impact of COVID-19 on revenues for cinema operators?
- Did any of the operators you work with cease trading entirely as a result of lockdown?
- What effect do you expect the government’s reintroduction of business rates after June 2021 to have on cinema operators?
- To what extent do you agree with the following statement: “Cinemas will lose their place in retail settings by 2030 and be replaced by new leisure activities”?
- How likely are landlords to replace cinemas with alternative uses after 2021?
- To what extent do you agree with the following statement: “Consumers now feel safe returning to indoor cinema auditoria”?
- What effect do you expect Brexit to pose on future staffing of cinemas?
- How do you expect non-ticket revenues, food & beverage and merchandise to trend within the next year?
- Following the new phase of the Coronavirus Act 2020, how likely do you expect landlords to begin evicting cinema tenants who are behind on payments?
- What do you believe is the likelihood that landlords extend existing leases with cinema occupiers to maintain their relationships beyond the pandemic restrictions?
This survey is available to subscribers of the Consumer Goods & Services (CGS) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). This offer includes the raw data file and a high-level presentation through PowerPoint. Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
Consumer Goods & Services (CGS)
- GLG Tracker: Car Rental II – New!
- 40 executives at car hire companies in Europe and the US commented on the longer-term effects of the slowdown on profitability, fleet valuation, labour and real estate costs and other planning decisions. Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in August 2020.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Mark Tristram-Walmsley, former Group Franchise Director at Europcar Mobility Group.
- Gambling Consumers – New!
- 2000 sports betting and gambling consumers across the US and Europe (United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain and Italy) discussed about their regular spend online and/or in-store now compared to pre COVID-19 along with their projections for post pandemic. These respondents also commented on how regulations impact their playing levels and whether or not they are thinking of switching accounts to other providers.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Philip Bowcock, former Group CEO at William Hill plc.
- K-12 Education – New!
- 60 Senior leadership heads at private k-12 education schools, discussed the current market demand for K12 private education. Looking at both developed and emerging markets such as Europe, South America and Asia. The performance of major education groups was also discussed, looking at the major players in the sector and their market presence.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Jonathan Wynne, former Head of M&A at Nord Anglia Education, Inc.
- GLG Tracker: OTA consumers III – New!
- Third survey to follow the second wave conducted in November 2020 and first wave conducted in July 2020. 2000 consumers across Europe (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK) and the US, discussed their upcoming plans to travel, past experience with booking business and leisure travels with Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) and metasearches as well as their preference to book flight/accommodation through various sites.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Uliano Lastrcuci, former Director Strategy & Business Development at Edreams
- Beauty Product Retailers + Event
- 70 retailers who stock major beauty brands such as L’Oréal, Nivea, Olay discussed the latest trends in this market from retailers’ perspective.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Didier Tisserand, former Managing Director of Brand Portfolio Management at L’Oréal.
- GLG Tracker: UK Gym Operators II
- Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in August 2020. Revisiting the impact of COVID-19 on the UK gym industry. 50 UK gym owners provided insight on the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Stuart Broster, former CEO of Anytime Fitness
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG captures in the Network Survey.