GLG Tracker: Aircraft Leasing III
Please complete the form below to request access to the survey data.
The GLG Surveys team interviewed 35 aircraft lessors and 35 airline executives responsible for procurement sharing their current outlook and situational actions taken since the impact of COVID-19. This is the third wave to follow the second wave conducted in March 2021 and first wave conducted in September 2020.
What will you learn from this survey?
- Aircraft lessors and airline executives shared their current outlook and situational actions taken since the impact of COVID-19.
- The survey explored current relationships between lessors and airlines.
- It also investigated the impact of COVID-19 on future trends and outlooks for the aircraft and airline industry as a whole.
Examples of findings:
- The outlook of the industry has started to become more positive in this third wave, with 72% of respondents stating a positive outlook, compared to 40% and 43% in waves 1 and 2 respectively.
- However, the goal posts have moved further back in terms of expectations for passenger demand, with 46% of respondents expecting this to return to normal by the end of 2023.
- Discussions around payment relief are beginning to curtail, with action being taken by 74% of respondents, compared to 94% and 83% at waves 1 and 2 respectively.
The GLG Surveys team drafted the questionnaire with the support of GLG Network Member, Dick Forsberg, former Head of Strategy at Avolon Holdings until March of 2019.
The standard deliverable includes:
- 1 x Individual responses (“raw data”), in Excel.
- 1 x PPT report with aggregated data.
- In-depth PowerPoint report of survey findings presented by the Network Member via webcast (optional).
- Compared to your company performance in Q1 2021, what level of utilisation is the current active passenger fleet achieving?
- Compared to your company performance in Q1 2021, what average passenger load factor is currently being achieved?
- Please rank these potential challenges facing airlines in Q2/2021 in order of severity (with 1 being the least critical and 5 the most critical to long-term survival).
- When do you think passenger demand for the industry as a whole will return to 2019 levels?
- What proportion of your airline’s network do you expect to be operating by the end of 2021?
- Which of the following actions did your lessor take during Q1 2021?
- What proportion of your lessor’s portfolio is currently inactive or in storage?
- How many lessees have requested an extension of relief in the current quarter?
- Please rank these potential challenges facing lessors in order of severity (with 1 being the least critical and 5 the most critical).
- How likely are airlines to use lessors to finance future deliveries, compared to pre-COVID?
The survey is available to subscribers of the Energy and Industrials (EI) sector (Limited subscriptions and above). Please contact your GLG representative for details on your firm’s access or click the button below to inquire.
Request other available and upcoming Network Surveys within the sector:
Energy and Industrials (EI)
- GLG Tracker: Refineries II New!
- Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in December 2020. 50 high level decision makers at European refineries commented on the future of the industry. The survey investigated the impact that COVID-19 has had on the industry and whether it is expected to bounce back.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Andy Rae, former VP at Shell Oil Company. Data released May 2021.
- Geophysical Services New!
- 50 senior executives within the Geophysical Services industry discussed the current trend and outlook for these services and end markets. Topics covered include the impact from COVID-19 on the industry, as well as oil prices.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Mike Edwards, Board Member at Geopost Energy. Data released May 2021.
- European Airports Outlook New!
- 50 senior executives working at airports in Europe discussed about expected passenger volume and main factors that can help or slow down the recovery to pre COVID-19 levels. The survey also gathered insights about their views on COVID-19 passports and how their introduction will align with country quarantining restrictions, along with projections on which countries will recover the quickest from the impact of COVID-19.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Alex Kirby, former Senior Advisor to the Board of Directors at Gatwick Airport.
- GLG Tracker: Hydrogen Market Overview II New!
- Second wave to follow the initial survey conducted in December 2020. 45 users of hydrogen in the energy and industrials industry, as well as manufacturing and construction, discussed about the use of hydrogen and how it can also be used as fuel replacement for green initiatives.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Brendan Bilton, former Managing Director at AcalEnergy.
- GLG Tracker: Automotive Suppliers II
- Second survey to follow the first wave conducted in August 2020. 60 current procurement and supply chain professionals at European OEMs discussed their views on future purchasing intention and vendor preferences.
- Questionnaire was drafted by Paul Spadafora, former Chief Engineer, Global SUV at General Motors Company.
To request data for these surveys, or see our other ones available, follow the link to our Network Survey Hub.
Please be advised that GLG Network Surveys operate differently than traditional GLG consultations, surveys, teleconferences, etc. and it is advisable that you consult with your firm’s legal and/or compliance department to review your use of the product and the payment for such work under your current subscription.
By downloading this document and/or participating in the Network Survey, you understand and agree that the information and material provided by GLG, including survey results and survey proposal information, is provided for your own insight and informational purposes only. You further acknowledge and agree that this is a Network Survey for multiple GLG clients, and the results will be provided to all GLG clients that agree to participate in the Network Survey and GLG clients that agree to purchase the Survey results in the future. All survey results do not constitute investment advice or a recommendation. In using this Survey, you agree to hold Gerson Lehrman Group and the Survey respondents harmless and free of all liability as a result of your use of this Network Survey, other than liability resulting from the gross negligence or wilful misconduct of the protected party. You otherwise agree to be bound by Gerson Lehrman Group’s Usage Policies in your interactions with Gerson Lehrman Group and your receipt of services. These Survey results are for are for client’s own use and client shall not redistribute, disseminate, publish, or display the same, in whole or in part, to any third parties or publicly without the prior written permission of Gerson Lehrman Group, except explicitly set forth in your agreement with GLG. This survey will be double-blinded to both client and respondent. GLG reserves the right to restrict the number of clients that can pre-commit access. These Network Surveys are priced outside of standard GLG subscriptions but at a substantially reduced price to commissioning a fully proprietary GLG Network Survey. Upon finding these terms acceptable, please send an affirmative confirmation via email, which GLG will file in its records. Once confirmed, please note that the Client’s agreement to purchase the Network Survey is a legally binding and irrevocable commitment. If the survey is not included within your subscription, GLG will invoice Client for the fees due for the Network Survey. Please note that some respondents may not be Network Members, and the Terms and Conditions of Network Membership would not apply to such respondents and detailed records for them will not be available aside from the information that GLG capture in the Network Survey.